Wednesday, November 20, 2013

finding quality time with God

 
I promised you that I would start off with a favorite Christmas song of mine in the beginning of each of my posts from now till Christmas. So here is one from Phillips, Craig and Dean
 



Beings the holidays are here, everybody is out and about and saying they are busy.  I find myself wondering, "What does Jesus think of all this?" I know he understands our excitement but I want to purpose in my heart to not let these upcoming holidays distract me from the most important things in my life. I don't want this Christmas to be all about me. I'm personally not a fan of the sayings, "I'm to busy to go" or "I'm to busy". Period. This year, instead of everything being about me, my christmas decorations, my gifts piled up under the tree and all the good food to make, I want to add "taking a jar of soup to my 90 year old widowered neighbor who hibernates in the winter and tell him about Jesus". I want to do more than drop a few coins in the salvation army bucket outside of walmart. I want to be willing to give from the heart to those who are struggling financially and you know, above all it is not just about giving money. Its about giving up of our time. Its about sitting down with those who are hurting and focusing completely on listening to them. Its about letting that person pour out their hearts and encouraging them and praying with them. THAT, is what I want to do so much better at. So many people have done that with me over the time I was struggling with my health. Now, I look back and that was just as special to me as someone taking the time to bring my meal. So what can we do, what can I do to bring a smile to someones face this holiday season? It's a challenge for all of us and there is so much beauty behind blessing someone in all sincerity and not expecting anything in return or hoping Jesus rewards us for all the time and effort we put into blessing that person.
My highlights of these upcoming holidays are: singing for people, family time, baking Christmas goodies, listening to music, drinking white chocolate peppermint mochas from starbucks, having parties, exchanging gifts, eating lots of good food, scrapbooking, decorating, shopping and the list goes on. But there are so so many people that are not as fortunate as we are and don't get to do these types of things. Some days I feel guilty but I know I cannot feel that way. Instead I want to thank God every single day for everything he has blessed us with.
That leads me to a question that has been on my mind alot the past week. How can I go about my everyday life and be more aware of God? How can I include him more in my life when I'm on the go all the time? I'm not the type that likes to go away alot. I enjoy my days at home. My days go a lot smoother when I simply stay home. I always find plenty to do. And it seems lately that I have been staying up late and wanting to sleep in, I'll say 7:00. That is sleeping in for me, I tend to be an early riser because I get more done that way. So here's my scenario, say I get up at 7, start a load of laundry. Then as I walk past my computer on my way into the living room to have my devotions I think, "I'm quickly going to check my emails, pinterest notifications, facebook notifications and my favorite blogs, then I'll go spend time with Jesus before my daughter wakes up because spending time with Jesus doesn't go to well when my daughter is awake and in the living room with me. Its always the same, "momma, I want cereal", "read me a book", "get me a drink", or "I need to go potty". And there is nothing wrong with her demanding that. I will most times do these things for her or help her with whatever she needs help with but there is nothing like sitting on my favorite section of the couch with a cup of hot chocolate, my favorite devotional book and the Bible in my hands. And there is nothing more relaxing than when it is just you and Jesus. I cannot focus when my daughter is up and this past week, it happened three mornings in a row when I thought, ok now, I'm going to make having my devotions my number one priority when I get up because I really do enjoy my alone time with God in the morning. I love giving him my undivided attention. I'm just not doing very well with that this week. I do not want spending time with God to be a chore and I don't want do it because I feel its required of me from him. I want to spend time with him because I want to draw closer to him. I want God to see into the depths of my heart and I want to learn more about him. Not because I have to. I want it to because I want to. Praying is probably one of my biggest weaknesses. And they're somedays when I feel as if my prayers are so boring to him but we don't need to use fancy words. From experience, prayer to me is just simply talking to God as if he were in the room with me. You don't need to use big words, just talk. He hears everything! Let it be sincere. I never did go into my closet like the Bible says you can do, but when I gaze into the sky and pretend to see his face, Prayer comes easier for me! I began praying that God would teach me how to be a better prayer warrior because I know it is a weakness of mine. And yes, I have seen a difference. He has helped me overcome that obstacle. I find myself praying in my car, in the shower and as I'm baking. If we don't get our prayers finished in the morning because of our demands of our kids, Its ok! There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. If we get distracted with the thoughts of what we need to all do that day, ask God to bring your mind back to him. The Bible says to be in prayer constantly, I really don't think it means 24/7. I think he means throughout the day just whisper constant words of prayer, whether it is a need or a struggle. He is always listening!
Back to my morning routine this week. I did it three mornings in a row where I thought I would quickly check this or that before I had my devotions and guess what? All three mornings I didn't make it back into my living room before I heard my baby girls bedroom door open. I would be so upset at myself the rest of the day and catch myself thinking, "why couldn't I wait to check my emails after I had my devotions." "Now I won't find the right opportunity and on and on." I finally told myself, ok this is ridiculous! Either I'm getting up earlier or I'm getting my priorities straight. But then I began to realize that yes God wants us to spend quality time with him but if we don't, he's not going to add that to my our sin list. He doesn't have a sin list anyway and He's not that kind of God. Yes, I do want to overcome this spiritual battle and because it is a weakness of mine,  the enemy is going to try and do everything he can to discourage me. I believe with all my heart Jesus is always up there patiently waiting for us to talk to him. He loves seeing us put effort into it so take the time today and give it to him. Meanwhile I'm going to try my hardest in becoming a better prayer warrior and not letting small things in life distract me!!
 
Wishing you a wonderful week,
Erma



1 comment:

  1. This is what I have been battling with for a while, Erma. I think its every mothers battle. But I seriously want to become self-disciplined and make this a priority. I have been trying to get up by 5am and spend time with Jesus, do all the stuff on the computer that I need to, get dressed and ready for my boys when they wake up. And then I can focus my day on them & stuff around the house. I'm also trying to remind myself to never stop praying, like you said, while baking, driving, etc. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete