From now on I will be posting a Christmas song on the top of each of my blogs! I do really enjoy Christmas music and I want to share all my favorites! Here is one by Third Day
So I'm getting extremely excited about the holidays coming up! I cannot figure out though why I'm acting this way so early in November? This is the first for me. ever. that I anticipated Christmas before thanksgiving. Yesterday I took my in-laws to the mall off of 11/15 in Selinsgrove. We drove and hour and a half to meet my other sister in law Carolyn who lives in Bradford County or also known as the haft. She also had an hour and a half drive so we arrived in the parking lot at almost the exact time. Before we hit the road we splurged and ordered starbucks. I know they are expensive but I haven't found a coffee shop yet that can beat them. I was craving a pumpkin spice latte the moment I left my house but to my dismay they did not have my pumpkin spice latte!! I ordered my winter favorite instead. The white chocolate peppermint mocha! As we were cruising I wanted to savor every ounce of that drink! Wrapping those cold hands around that red cup brought a smile to my face. It takes little things to make me smile! I was extremely tired but I was very excited to start shopping! How can I not be excited for Christmas when all the malls are covered in Holiday décor? We shopped at almost every shopping center along that route and I don't know about the others but I had a very successful day. Believe it or not I got almost everybody crossed off my list and today I wrapped everything and stored it in my closet. I really loved that mall so to those who want to do something different this year, you should give it a try. Alaina was with my mom so that made things so much easier for me. Thank you mom for helping me out! You truly are the best! I'm certain I will repay. My parents sold their 5 acre property in September and bought a 2 acre property in Lancaster. Yes I said Lancaster. They just don't get it that it is to far for me. But they are excited about it and hope to get in in 2 weeks to start painting. Everything else is in great shape. So that's where I will be up until Christmas. She warned me to have all my canning and fall cleaning done by the time they can get in. I've completed all that now so I will be leaving my November and December OPEN! She also said I need to have all my Christmas decorating done and a week ago I nearly laughed at my friend Susan for putting her tree up! Actually I thought the stores were losing it but when I seen she had her things out to, I was floored! Sorry Susan. It came back to bite me though. Exactly a week later I decorated my daughters room. Alaina is so proud of her mini white Christmas tree with pink ornaments, pink snow flakes and sparkling lights. Her room is pink and gray so I found some adorable pink and gray Christmas décor at Ross's last year and couldn't wait to put everything in order. Yes I do enjoy decorating and so often I wish I had a few of my friends taste to but everybody has a different taste for different things. Yesterday as we were shopping I said to my sister in law jokingly, "if only money grew on trees" but as I thought about it, I really wouldn't be any happier! I know for a fact I wouldn't. Our earthly treasures are not going to matter to Jesus when he returns. He wants us to store up treasures in heaven. So I found myself being more willing to be content. We do have so much more than what people in other countries and even in our own county have and I'm so grateful for that.
Layered Chocolate Bars
Ok so there is a very funny story behind the demand for this recipe. One that leaves me speechless! A few weeks ago there was a funeral at our church and I was asked to make a batch of bars for lunch. I had to have them at the church by 11 or 11:30. My morning started off pretty crazy, nothing was going my way and my daughter was showing me a hard time so by the time I got these bars baked and to the church it was 11:40. I was so upset the entire drive to my church, the bars were so over baked and I was going to make sure that they don't use them unless they absolutely needed to. When I get to the church I handed them to the lady and completely forgot to tell her that. So within 2 weeks after the funeral I had numerous amount of women come up to me and ask me what I put in those bars and how I made them and a few people even asked if I sprinkled granola on top. So let me tell you, I was floored! I found it quite humorous actually. A few women didn't believe me when I told them I just over baked them alittle and that I didn't add anything else to recipe. So to all of you who want that recipe they are in the older version of the Honey Brook Cook Book. The recipe is on page 328 and to those of you who do not have that cook book I will gladly share my burnt bars recipe with you!
You will need:
1/2 cup butter melted
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 can sweetened condensed milk
16 oz. mini chocolate chips
8 oz. mini peanut butter or butterscotch chips
(You can use regular sized chips as well, I always used the mini)
Layer each ingredient in order given in a 9 x 13 inch pan or you can use alittle bigger pan if you don't want the bars fat (if that makes sense) The recipe says to bake at 350 but I set it at 325 because of the heat that my oven throws. Bake for 30-35 minutes is what the recipe says but I guess if you want them looking and tasting like mine try 40 minutes! Sorry I do not have pictures but they are the easiest bars to make so good luck and enjoy........
Enjoy the rest of your week, Erma
No comments:
Post a Comment